This Whole30 Approved chicken sausage gumbo recipe can be easily prepped in your crockpot and is full of delicious Cajun flavors!
- 1 package of Cajun-Style Andouille Bilinski’s Chicken Sausage, sliced into coins
1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 – 2 small) 3 tbsp ghee 1/2 cup cassava flour 1/2 yellow onion, diced 1 green pepper, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced ( or substitute 1/2 tsp garlic powder) 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning (or less based on spice preference) ¼ tsp dried thyme 32 oz Whole30 Approved beef broth 1 tbsp coconut aminos 1 cup water 1 bay leaf ½ lemon, juiced 2 cups cooked cauliflower rice, optional Fresh parsley for garnish Salt & pepper to taste
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the ghee. Slowly whisk in the cassava flour and continue whisking until well combined. When all the flour has been added, reduce the heat to medium-low. The roux may seem clumpy initially, but it will loosen up over the next few minutes.
2. Cook the roux on low for 5 minutes, whisking every minute or so to prevent burning.
3. After the roux has cooked for 5 minutes, add in minced garlic, Cajun seasoning, and thyme. Allow to cook for another minute, or until garlic and seasoning are fragrant.
4. Transfer the roux to your crockpot.
5. Slowly add in the beef broth while whisking aggressively. Adding broth slowly while whisking will prevent clumps in your broth.
6. After the broth is smooth, add water, coconut aminos, onion, green pepper, bay leaf, Bilinski’s chicken sausage, and chicken to your crockpot. Add a pinch of salt. Place the lid on the crockpot & cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8.
7. When cooking time has completed, remove the chicken breasts and shred using two forks before placing back in the crockpot.
8. Add lemon juice to the gumbo and give a big stir to combine. Taste the gumbo and season with salt & pepper as needed.
9. If serving with cauliflower rice, follow the directions on the package for cooking.
10. Prepare bowls for serving by adding a 1/2 cup of cauliflower rice to each bowl. Pour your desired amount of gumbo over the rice. Garnish with parsley & enjoy!