Autumn Stuffed Acorn Squash
Recipe & photography created by Astala Vista at @eatcleandragqueen
The stunning Whole30 Approved harvest recipe is a perfect Thanksgiving side!
- 2-3 links of Spinach with Spring Greens Bilinski’s Chicken Sausage, chopped
- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and gutted
- 1 large apple, cored and diced
- 2 small or 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 6 tsp coconut oil (divided)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a basting brush, brush each half of acorn squash with 1 tsp coconut oil, then sprinkle with salt & pepper. Transfer to oven, cut side down, and bake for 45-55 minutes.
2. While acorn squash halves bake, heat 2 tsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add your onions, then cover for 8 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes. Remove cover and cook onions for an additional 10 minutes (or until they begin to caramelize), stirring frequently. Once onions caramelize, remove from heat and set aside.
3. While your onions cook, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add 2 tsp coconut oil. Add your garlic, sauté for 30 seconds, then add all remaining ingredients except for spinach. Cook everything together for 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
4. Once the apples have softened, stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add onions to your chicken sausage & apple mixture and mix well to combine. Remove from heat.
5. When acorn squash have finished cooking, remove them from the oven and fill each squash half with a 1/4 of your chicken sausage mixture. Transfer back to the oven for an additional 5-7 minutes.
6. Remove stuffed squash from oven and transfer to a plate. Serve with fresh rosemary and enjoy!