Farro & Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 1 package of Spicy Italian Bilinski’s Chicken Sausage, sliced and halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large sweet bell peppers in various colors
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium zucchini squash, diced
- 1 crown of broccoli, trimmed and cut into small florets
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 2 cups of your favorite jarred tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil or lightly grease the bottom of the dish with extra virgin olive oil.
2. Prepare bell peppers by cutting them in half from the top of the pepper to the bottom. Remove the inner membranes and seeds.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add sliced red onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften.
5. Next, add sliced and halved Bilinski’s chicken sausages. Sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
6. Add in the diced celery, diced zucchini, and broccoli florets. Sauté the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
7. Turn off heat and add cooked farro to the sausage and vegetable mix.
8. Add red pepper flakes, pepper, and salt and give the mixture a good stir.
9. Fill each bell pepper with the farro mixture and place in the oven covered with aluminum foil for 30 minutes.
10. After 30 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes until the peppers are fully cooked. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
11. In the meantime, heat 2 cups of your favorite jarred tomato sauce in a saucepan until bubbling.
12. To serve, place two stuffed bell peppers on a plate and top with the jarred tomato sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley.