Pizza on the grill?! Yes, please! This delicious chicken sausage & peppers pizza is perfect for your next summer cookout.
- 2 links of Bilinski’s Organic Spicy Italian Chicken Sausage, sliced
- 1 pound pizza dough, divided into 2 balls
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeds removed and cut into quarters
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeds removed and cut into quarters
- 1/2 yellow onion, root still in tact
- Fresh basil for garnish
1. Clean and oil your grill grates and preheat to 425° F.
2. Prep peppers and onion by rubbing them with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Place them on the grill along with the Bilinski’s chicken sausage.
3. Grill whole peppers and onion for 8-10 minutes, or until the skin is charred and they’re tender. Flip them halfway through the cooking time. Grill the chicken sausages until the outside is crisp and they are heated through, turning them occasionally.
4. Remove vegetables and sausage from the grill onto a plate. Slice the peppers into strips and the onion into half-moons. Slice the sausage into rounds. Cover the plate with foil to keep everything warm.
5. Clean and oil the grill grates again keeping the temperature at 425° F. Drizzle olive oil on a large sheet pan and rub it all over to keep the dough from sticking. Take the pizza dough halves and roll or stretch them into the desired shape and thickness. Brush or rub the tops with a little more olive oil. Take the pizza dough, pesto, a spoon to spread the pesto, and mozzarella out to the grill.
6. Lift the dough off of the baking sheet and place it onto the grill grates. Adjust and stretch the dough out as needed, then cover with the lid. Grill for 2-3 minutes then uncover and use a pair of tongs to lift up the dough and check to see if it’s golden brown and has grill marks.
7. Remove the pizza dough from the grill onto the sheet pan so that the grilled side is facing up. Lower the heat slightly. Spread the pesto over the tops of the crust and sprinkle on the mozzarella. Put the pizza back onto the grill and cook another 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bottom is golden brown.
8. Remove the pizzas from the grill and top them with the peppers, onion, and chicken sausage. Dollop on the ricotta and finish with fresh basil leaves.