Breakfast Sausage Casserole
Recipe & photography created by Kelsey Grizzaffi at (@eathealthywithkelsey).
This chicken sausage breakfast casserole is easy to meal prep and has only 3 WW SmartPoints per serving!
- 1 package of Classic Sage Breakfast Bilinski’s Chicken Sausages, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- Olive oil spray
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small bunch green onions, finely chopped & divided
- 5 ounces roughly chopped baby spinach (about 5 cups)
- 10 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 to 2 tsp of your favorite hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 16 ounces frozen diced hash browns, thawed
- 1/2 cup fat-free cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
* Serving Size: 1 slice (1/8 of casserole)
WW Blue Plan SmartPoints: 3 per serving
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. Generously coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with nonstick olive oil spray.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray skillet with olive oil spray. Add diced bell pepper and 3/4 of the chopped green onions. Stir and cook until the pepper is crisp-tender, about 8 minutes.
3. Add spinach a few handfuls at a time and stir until spinach wilts, about 2 minutes. Add vegetables to the mixing bowl with sliced Bilinski’s chicken sausage.
4. Add the thawed hash browns and fat-free cheddar cheese to your mixing bowl. Gently stir to combine.
5. In a separate larger mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper until blended.
6. Pour the egg mixture over the hash brown mixture and stir gently to combine. Carefully pour into your prepared baking dish. Use a spoon to prod filling into an even layer. Top evenly with the 3/4 cup of goat cheese.
7. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
8. Remove the foil and continue baking until the eggs are set and potatoes are tender-15 to 20 additional minutes. Let rest for a few minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved green onions. Slice and enjoy!
- To store: Refrigerate casserole in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Gently warm leftovers in a baking dish in the oven at 350°.
- Freeze: Freeze casserole in an airtight freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Make ahead: Fully assemble the casserole up to 1 day in advance, and store it unbaked and covered in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to bake, let the casserole come to room temperature while you preheat the oven, then bake it as directed.